Students have the right to have their concerns addressed through the various avenues noted in this section regarding the student appellant process and student grievance procedures.

When a student has a concern about the action of a particular individual or department, the grievance initially should be directed to the person(s) responsible for the individual or department, as noted in the University organizational structure. Certain expeditious procedures to redress specific grievances are outlined below.

Academic Grievances

A student academic grievance is broadly defined as a student complaint regarding an academic action taken by instructional or administrative personnel at The University of Alabama. A student may file an academic grievance against a faculty member, administrator, or staff member at the University. For more information about academic grievance procedures, visit University-Wide Academic Grievance Procedures.

Financial Aid

Specific rules, regulations, and eligibility requirements for procuring and maintaining financial aid can be found in the office of Student Financial Aid.

State Residency

Resident or nonresident classification is determined for purposes of tuition and fees by The University of Alabama. Institutional policy is based on policy established by the Board of Trustees and state law. Read more about residency for tuition purposes.

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records. The University of Alabama complies with FERPA’s confidentiality protections and adheres to procedures dealing with student education records and directory information recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). Learn more about UA’s Privacy Guidelines (FERPA), including access to educational records and procedures to amend incorrect records.

Traffic and Parking Grievances

All students driving a car and parking on campus must register their vehicles and display the proper decal. Students may appeal violation citations to the Student Court. Appeals must be filed on the appropriate Citation Appeal Form within the prescribed time at the Office of Parking Services. Learn more about citation appeals on the Parking and Traffic Regulations page.